(it got a little squished, but this chocolate fudge mini cake from JaCiva’s was DELICIOUS.)
On occasions like birthdays, it’s always interesting to take a moment and contemplate and compare life with the previous one.
Last November 1, I lived in Brooklyn and had been working as a ‘consultant’ for my company for a just over a year. I was working weekends shooting babies. I didn’t really do much else.
The twelve months to this November 1 must set a personal record for most/biggest changes. (And I’ve had some big years in my day!)
- In January, I was hired full-time at my job. Finally!
- In April, I found out that I was pregnant. And then that it was TWINS.
- In May, we went to Central Europe for vacation.
- In June/July, my company reorganized and I lost my job.
- In the spring/summer, I did more portrait work and even shot a wedding.
- In the summer, we finally made the decision to move out of NYC (well, more like Andy finally relented that it had to happen).
- At the end of June, I stopped shooting babies.
- In August, we drove across the country to move to Portland.
- In August/September, I got my job back, part-time.
- In the fall, we’ve been settling in to our rental house, and I spend a lot of time on the couch.
Wow. It’s been a heck of a year. We joke sometimes that we’re getting all the big stuff done and out of the way at once this year.
The time until next November 1 won’t be filled with these kinds of life changes, except that it will include one of the biggest lifestyle changes I can imagine–we will become parents. My next birthday will be so different! I wonder how different I will feel and look. I envision a family photo on our front lawn–me and Andy jumping, and two little ones either standing up or falling over trying to jump with us.