I am so excited about this project! It turned out pretty much just like I envisioned, and it was easy and really inexpensive. Win-win!
I bought 12″ papier mache letters at Joann. My local store didn’t have the letters I wanted, so I got them online.
Sometime in the last year or two, I remembered finding some beautiful travel-themed wrapping papers that might look neat framed–Cavallini papers on Paper Source. So I decided to use some of those to decoupage onto the letters. It was tough to decide which ones to use–some of the maps? some of the vintage postcards? I settled on using two of the same, and to use a US map.
This was the first time I’d ever bought my own jar of Mod Podge! I got two sponge applicators, which didn’t fit inside the jar–duh. Next time I’ll compare the two. 🙂 I chose the Matte finish because I figured up on the wall, the shiny might look weird.
I had to decide where to place the map for where it would lay on the letters. I wanted mostly land and not a ton of water to show up, so both of the letters ended up being a big chunk of the middle (slightly different chunks, though–I didn’t want them matchy-matchy).
I cut off some of the far edges to make it easier to work with, but not too much, so that I would have plenty to work with on the sides. Then I made a few cuts to correspond to some of the edges, so I could match it up on the blank side.
I brushed on a light coat of the Mod Podge.
I put the gluey side of the letter down on the back of the paper, lined up with the cuts (which was kind of difficult). I made a few more cuts and started folding the paper up and around/over the edges, and Mod Podging them down.
There were several places where the paper overlapped, so I just cut and folded edges over the others. This was the hardest part–figuring out where to cut and where to fold. I probably should have tested some cuts with plain paper first to see how to get the best coverage. But eh, whatever, I wanted to just get it done, and naptime doesn’t last forever. 🙂
Also, for some emptier places on the sides, I glued down another, separate map piece, so that more of the letter would be covered.
Then I did a few coats of Mod Podge on the back and then the front, letting each dry.
I think they turned out quite nicely! (Not perfectly though; some of the edges aren’t smooth or even, and some of the folds/cuts weren’t ideal. But it would be so easy and inexpensive if I ever wanted to re-do them, if I ever decided to be super picky and perfectionist.)
I used a picture hanging hook and nail to put them up on the wall.
Here they are in situ in the babies’ new and improved room:
Again, I am so excited! I want to do more Mod Podging now!
So cute! Look at you, crafty mama!